My Reading List for May 2018
Books hold treasures;
treasures are discovered
by a commitment to seek them.
Create a map and dig them out.
Source: Diane Challenor, editor, Artuccino
My “currently reading” book-list can often have more than five books listed, these are the books that I’ve committed myself to read in the near future, the ones I’ve cracked open. My Currently-Reading Book List should not to be confused with my To-Be-Read Book List (TBR) which is much too long to list here, nor my Books Owned But Not Read Yet List, but if you want to delve into my TBR list, a list that has no end (over 150 books are currently mentioned), you can peruse it on GoodReads.
The books I choose to read during the day, or listen to through the night, depend entirely on my mood, and my concentration levels. I read books in multiple formats, that is, a mix of printed books, eBooks, and audiobooks. Some of these books will be eventually, shelved or abandoned altogether. Every book that I “crack open”, I commit to read at lease 50 pages. You can imagine, I often overwhelm myself with commitments to books, and when this happens they become victims and I “clear the decks”, shelve some, abandon others, and start all over again.
I’ve decided to write a blog post each month listing the books I’ve committed to my reading-muscle. This list is really for me, but I thought you may find it interesting. The list will assist me with keeping track of how many books I’ve committed myself to read during a month, hoping that sanity will prevail, and I’ll cull them down to a manageable level. My Monthly Reading List blog will ensure the books I’ve chosen don’t gather dust by being forgotten. eBooks in particular are easy to forget, particularly if they are on multiple devices.
Listed below is my list of this month’s reading commitment:
- Howards End is on the Landing: A Year of Reading from Home by Susan Hill
- To the River: A Journey Beneath the Surface by Olivia Laing
- Fossicking for Old Books by Anthony Marshall
- H is for Hawk by Helen MacDonald
- A Time of Gifts by Patrick Leigh Fermor
- Death at the President’s Lodging(Sir John Appleby, #1) Michael Innes
- The Old Patagonian Express: By Train Through the Americas by Paul Theroux
- The Road to Little Dribbling: Adventures of an American in Britain by Bill Bryson
- Society and Solitude by Ralph Waldo Emerson
- First Prize (Chess Hanrahan, #1) by Edward Cline