… the act of reading might be simple but … it is also one of the most important things in all this human world.
Source: The Simple Act of Reading: Edited by Debra Adelaide
My List of Betterment is inspired by Andy Miller’s book, The Year of Reading Dangerously: How Fifty Great Books (and Two Not-So-Great Ones) Saved My Life. It is my quest to find and nominate ten books of fiction and ten books of non-fiction that I believe have enhanced my perspective of the world, along with my compassion for the people within it; books that have given me a better understanding of myself.
It is possible, by reading stories about the lives and worlds of others, the reader can become more accepting of the differences between people, their personalities, their cultures, and their goals, because books introduce the reader to an enormous number of characters, placed in all sorts of predicaments, leading to fascinating consequences and outcomes. The reader of a book, can live within lives, and see with perspectives, that could never be experienced in several lifetimes, enhancing their perception and compassion. It’s magical!
My List of Betterment will change over time; there will be room for ten books of fiction and ten books of non-fiction. Periodically, some books will be replaced by others. My List of Betterment is a work-in-progress. I’m seeking to identify the best of the best, a personal choice.
I will nominate the books that made a difference to my outlook on life, and over time I will return and update the page with in-depth explanations of why each particular book made a difference.
Please note: Artuccino has an affiliation with several book sellers. The majority of book links on this website will take you to amazon.com
List of Betterment – Fiction (updated 24th June 2015)
- The Isabel Dalhousie Series by Alexander McCall Smith
– The Sunday Philosophy Club: An Isabel Dalhousie Novel (1)
- The Buried Giant: A novel by Kazuo Ishiguro
- The Merry Millionaire duology by John Wells (due to be published 2016)
- The Master: A Novel by Colm Toibin
- The Secret River by Kate Grenville
- The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
- The Unlikely Voyage of Jack De Crow: A Mirror Odyssey from North Wales to the Black Sea by A.J.Mackinnon
- The Adam Dalgleish Series by P.D.James
– Cover Her Face (Adam Dalgliesh Mysteries, No. 1)
- One Hundred Names: A Novel by Cecilia Ahern
- Stravinsky’s Lunch by Drusilla Modjeska
List of Betterment – Classics (updated 28th April 2018)
- Middlemarch by George Eliot
- Moby Dick by Herman Melville
- The End of the Affair by Graham Greene
- The Third Man and Other Stories (Macmillan Collector’s Library) by Graham Greene
- The next seven titles will be selected over time
List of Betterment – Non-Fiction (updated 24th June 2015)
- The Year of Reading Dangerously: How Fifty Great Books (and Two Not-So-Great Ones) Saved My Life
– by Andy Miller
- Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within, 2nd Edition by Natalie Goldberg
- 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die: Revised and Updated Edition Edited by Peter Boxall
- Allan Cunningham by W.G.McMinn (out of print)
- Searching for the Secret River by Kate Grenville (buy from Booktopia)
- Waterlog: A Swimmer’s Journey Through Britain by Roger Deakin
- The Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron
- The Nature Notes of an Edwardian Lady by Edith Holden
- A Walk to the Western Isles: After Boswell and Johnson by Frank Delaney
- Great books by David Denby
This blog was written
by Diane Challenor 2015
The copyright, of all the
blogs and images at
Artuccino, belongs to
Diane and John Challenor.
If you would like to use our blogs
in your publication please contact us.